Monday, October 16, 2017

Every ’70s Movie Seven Years Old!


It’s good-news/bad-news time. The good news it that, unlikely as it might have seemed when this project launched seven years ago, I’m close to my goal of reviewing every movie from the 1970s that I can track down (and that meets my criteria favoring American-made theatrical features). For those who dig numbers, I’ve identified approximately 2,700 titles that fit the criteria, of which more than 2,300 have been reviewed thus far. Best guess at this particular moment is that about 300 movies will escape my grasp, as a fair number of minor titles have disappeared from mainstream distribution. So, give or take any discoveries I might make in the intervening period, about 100 to 150 more movies will be reviewed, in addition to those already written up and awaiting publication. My guestimate of when the blog will cease regular publication is March of next year, though depending on what happens after that—I’m presently exploring the possibility of republication in book form—some erratic dribs and drabs might follow the cessation of daily posting. And that, of course, is the bad news—the end of this mad project is near. To that point, I’ll make one last entreaty for donations, because acquiring the final batch of movies will involve some expenditures, and I’d love to paint as complete a picture as possible of the cinema of the ’70s before closing up shop. Every little bit helps, no matter how modest the contribution. Anyway, that’s all for now except to say, as always, keep on keepin’ on!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sure you've considered it and I suspect you're not planning on it, but how about doing 60s or 80s movies or any other decade for that matter?

By Peter Hanson said...

Enjoyable as this project has been, the time investment is such that one decade was enough for me. I'm out at after the '70s. Perhaps someone with a strong affinity for one of the other decades will take up the challenge...

Steve Carroll said...

Thanks for your diligence, Peter; we're all the better for it. I can't begin to count the number of hours I've spent perusing this site since discovering it a couple of years ago. It's been a daily visit ever since to see the new updates and the days I miss are followed by a certain giddiness at knowing more than one review awaits me. I will miss the regular updates and urge you publish these in book form. What a resource!

Guy Callaway said...

One of my favorite sites. You've done incredible (and very entertaining) work!!

greg6363 said...

Just dropped a $20 in the donation bin. As a Trojan providing charity to a Bruin, it's the cause that counts. Finish strong, Peter.

By Peter Hanson said...

Thanks, Greg. I won't tell anyone of your scholastic betrayal.

Tommy Ross said...

I think I've been with ya about 5 of those 7, and still am a daily visitor. Thanks Peter for all the great reco's and as I've mentioned on many occasions I really dig the way you write. Congrats!